Sunday, October 01, 2006

It's October, and you know what that means....

Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a/k/a The Month Roisin Spends Hounding Us All For Money.

And if you thought it was bad before, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

As some of you already know, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer the middle of April this year. She had her mastectomy on exactly the same day in May that I had my last surgery. Luckily, she was only a stage I and thanks to her decision to have a total mastectomy did not even require chemotherapy. But the emphasis there is on LUCK. She was caught and treated early. Not every woman is as lucky as my mother, and she and I are both painfully aware of that fact.

In November of 2004, a very close friend of mine passed away at the age of 34 from metastatic breast cancer that she had been fighting on and off since she was 23. Helen was supposed to participate in this with myself and friends the month before she died, but was far too ill to even leave her house. We walked in her honour that morning, I continue to.

So yet again this year, on October 15th to be precise, I'm going to be participating in the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. There's still time to sign up if you'd like to get involved as well, but if you can't (or even if you can for that matter).....yes, this is where I hound you for money....you can always make a pledge....it doesn't have to be much, it's really the thought that counts. But while we're speaking of thought, try thinking about this - ONE IN EVERY 4 WOMEN WILL BE DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER IN HER LIFETIME. That might mean you, your mother, your wife, your sister, your daughter....and the list goes on. You mightn't have been touched by breast cancer yet, but there's a good chance you will be. So why not start doing something about it now?

Okay, the tinker's done begging for the moment....now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

6 Comments:

Blogger Maritza said...

Why am I so lazy about getting a mammogram?

9:15 PM  
Blogger Billychic said...

Because they hurt like a SONOFABITCH. Nobody likes getting their boob sandwiched flat like a pancake. One would think they could come up with something a little less suck-ass to help save our lives...

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo to ASPIEGODDESS for bringing up the subject....

13 years as a Disability examiner for the State of Florida allowed me to see into the lives of women who applied for benefits for breast cancer...and at different levels of severity of their disease. Many of them were denied benefits, because they were affectively being treated and recovering, however, that recovery was always slow, and the State never seemed to take into consideration the nausea, loss of weight, extreme weakness, depression, loss of hair, concentration, etc, etc. Please, GIVE to this cause for research, because you can be damned sure that the Government probably won't pick up the tab, no matter how debilitating the treatment and recovery may be.

12:58 AM  
Blogger eastcoastlife said...

Really?! Now I'm more scared to go for a mammogram.........

4:05 AM  
Blogger Billychic said...

NO! Go get one...I have to go - I mean, it's not THAT bad...it just kinda sucks. In a wow, my tit is getting squooshed kinda way.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Maritza said...

Since I'm a busty gal, the mammogram doesn't hurt AT ALL. I find it is easier if you plan it either during or right after your period when your breasts are less tender.

My problem is just getting my flabby ass to the Mamm-O-Gram Palace and getting the thing done.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home