Sunday, April 08, 2007

So I Had to Go to the Emergency Room Yesterday...

Because my darling baby boy, light of my life, sunshine of my existence...the little bastard known as Spud, a.k.a. "Evil Kitty" bit the hell out of my hand when I was trying to give him medicine.

Spud in the Sink

Actually, he didn't really mean to (well, the jury is out on that one); I was shoving a tube of laxatone down his throat to get him to cough up a hairball that was making him vomit all over the house, and he struggled...chomped down to get away from the foreign object in his mouth...and found my hand there. That's the story I'm going with, any way. I've had him over ten years and although he didn't get the nickname "Evil Kitty" for nothing, he has never bitten me like this before. He bit me like a rattlesnake, in the webbing area between the thumb and forefinger - so I had two deep puncture wounds. There was LOTS of blood.

So, after a few hours, when the two puncture wounds he gave me began to swell, along with my hand; the whole side of my hand that had been bit hurt; and the pain, reddness, and swelling began to creep up my wrist, I decided (along with the gentle nudging of my pal Josh and a concerned phonecall from my Mom) that I should go to the doctor...if anything, for a tetanus shot.

Well, it was Saturday, and the DOCS clinic on 23rd was closed (they suck anyway), so off to the hospital ER it was, with my grumbling the whole way.

We get there, and the doctor says it's a good thing I showed up; that I obviously had an infection (it had been about ten hours since the bite occured by that point) and that I could have gotten Pasteurellosis into my system.

But, I protested, it's my baby kitty! He's an indoor cat!

She said it didn't matter...they carry all kinds of nasty bacteria in their mouths and the bite wasn't just a little breaking of the skin, he had bit the shit out of me. She gave me a week's worth of antibiotics, and told me that if, by today, it wasn't better, I should come in to get the antibiotics by IV. I also got a tetanus shot in the same arm, so now my left arm is shot to hell. Thank god I'm a righty.

Can you believe that shit?

Well, as of today...it's not really better...so while some of you are eating chocolate bunnies, I think I will be heading over to the ER again to get hooked up to an IV to make sure that this infection doesn't get any worse. I was going to attach pics - but I figured I'd save you all the nasty nasty...lol...

This hurts. Any outpouring of sympathy or sarcasm would be appreciated.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Pendullum said...

Ouch!!!!
Hope you are on the mend!!!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Billychic said...

Thank you! I got a nasty infection...it's been a real pain...er...pardon the pun...lol

8:14 PM  
Blogger Bitchy Actress said...

I hope your put your foot up that little fucker's ass...

This isn't the first time he's bitten you, is it? I guess it was the worst...

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home