Monday, August 25, 2008

Oh Baby!

Goodness, I can't believe I'm writing this one. It seems, after my rant almost 2 years ago about all the "when are you going to have children" questions, I should be eating my words. Yes, you guessed it: I'm pregnant!

Now being pregnant leads me to something I never expected: women, of all ages, who already have children, feel the need to tell me what I should and shouldn't do.

"Don't go near cats, you could catch something from them."

"Always eat TUMS. They're high in calcium and you'll need it."

"Don't reach for things. The baby might dislocate from your uterus." (I heard this one as I was putting my hair in a pony tail).

"Don't run. It's unsafe for you and the baby" Note: I work out daily and my doctor gave me the ok to continue as long as I felt ok to do so.

"What? You're not in maternity clothing yet? Are you ok?" sigh. yes, i'm fine. I'm 4.5 months along and haven't gained an ounce. This one made me ask my doctor and she said this was completely normal and that everything looks perfectly fine. I'm eating every 2 -2.5 hours, which means I'm losing weight while gaining baby. Now, if I could just keep this up after the baby is born, I'll be in great shape.

But I have to say that something that is already driving me nuts is the inevitable need for people to rub my stomach. I'm not a Buddah!!!

I'm in the second trimester and the questions keep coming:
"Weren't you miserable during the first trimester?" No, not really. The exhaustion killed me and I only struggled with nausea (no vomiting). I feel really lucky.
"Don't you hate the backpain?" Um, what? I haven't gotten there yet.
"Have you chosen names yet?" nope. We'll get there. I figure that on the way to the delivery room, we'll spit out names and one will stick.

We decided not to find out what we're having since we figured that this would be an amazing gift, no matter what it is. I thought my sister was going to have a cow when I said we woudn't find out. "WHAT?? how I will I shop for the kid?" Easy. Check my registry for the neutral stuff we've chosen.

So now when I'm asked "Do you know what you're having?" My answer is simple: "Yes, a baby."

4 Comments:

Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

Non-permitted tummy rubbing was something that always pissed me off too. I did not become public property when I found out I'd bred--so perfect (or not so perfect) strangers who felt they had the right to rub my tummy were just annoying as hell to me. I wanted to pop people--or ask if I could feel up their boobies to see what they did at their stage in life, just to see how they reacted, then explain that I really didn't like strangers "touching the baby".

The only person with enough decency to ask for permission was a friend of mine--and the one person who wouldn't have freaked me out if she'd ever just rubbed my tummy. Figures, doesn't it?

Congratulations and stay healthy! I know you don't know what sex your baby will be, but do you have a preference that you're hoping for?

3:30 AM  
Blogger BlueChick said...

Thanks for you great response! It's seems that the people who you don't mind having "touch the baby belly" always ask. Why is that? LOL!

My husband's family has 7 nieces, no nephews so they're all itching an praying for a boy. In all honesty, I don't have a preference though I think my guy would like a girl since he isn't certain he'll know how to handle a boy after having so many females around him! :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Dianna said...

I am SOOOOOOOO happy for you!!! Congratulations! That is kinda funny, looking back at your other posts and then seeing this one.

But it's such a beautiful thing...and I wish you all the health and happiness in the world.

It's good to see you posting on here, too! We missed you!!!

xxoo
D
(Billychic)

12:27 PM  
Blogger BlueChick said...

D- I missed posting here! Life gets too crazy sometimes but I need to make time for this. I tell everyone i know about this blog... it's worth reading...and I love being part of it!

xoxo
- C

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home