Thursday, June 29, 2006

Star Jones Booted Because She Lost Weight?


I am not one to watch The View - I never have been. I couldn't tell you what time it's on or what channel. I could give a rat's ass, to tell you the truth. I think I've tuned in while sick and channel flipping, catching some kind of rant about something.

I also don't know anything about Star Jones and her views or what her relationship was with the other women. I had assumed that it was as close as it could be when a bunch of powerful women sit at a table together on broadcast network television and talk trash about everything in the world: you call someone your friend but you sleep with one eye open. I know that much from having worked at local cable TV station in St. Louis, MO; I got backstabbed more times than I care to mention - the irony is that it was really only by management, not my fellow co-workers. Well, except for the men, who all but one, couldn't find their own ass with two hands and a road map and didn't like having to share the spotlight with chicks.

But I digress...

I do find it disturbing that it is mentioned in this article that Star Jones' major weight loss (which turned her from a fat chick into a hot babe) and her marriage (publicized because everyone thinks he's gay) seemed to "turn off" audience members, according to research.



So what, people wanted her to stay fat so that they could feel better? Did Barbara Walters find that people might start making fun of her excessive face lifts if they didn't have a fat chick sitting next to her?

I am overweight. I have been struggling with my weight ever since I was 7 years old. But I am not going to sit here and say "oh, it's okay if you're fat, fat chicks are healthy and sexy and there's nothing wrong with us!"
I think that is such a crock of shit. It's an excuse because we have a food addiction and an inablity to cart our asses to the gym. Or we have chemical imbalances that need to be looked into. Regardless, nobody in their right mind can sit here and tell me that Star Jones looked better FAT. Perhaps we were used to seeing her that way, and it made us feel comfy because she was matronly.

Matronly sucks. I had a lady give up a seat for me on a train once several years ago (before I lost a lot of weight) because she thought I was pregnant.

I was not pregnant. The worst thing in the world is to be "matronly" before your fucking time. If these catty women got pissed off that perhaps Star Jones was coming into her own and feeling better about herself, well, tough shit.

Let's get down to the real reasons why...and quit this bullshit about statistics say that the public prefers her fat. Fuck the public. Who's the public, anyway? A bunch of fat chicks watching the show while they tend to their kids. Of course they want someone up there that they can identify with. And that is the sad part - they'd rather someone be unhappy with their self esteem and personal image, have poor physical health, and stroke their own problems with being overweight (or if they're not overweight, whatever "pro-woman must also equal pro-fat" agenda they have) just so the ratings can keep up.

It sounds like this could be true, though, because they got another fat chick - Rosie O'Donnell - to take her place. Now, I am happy they picked Rosie, because they are at least not afraid of hiring a gay woman. Hooray. They substituted one discrimination action with one lack therof. Only thing is, I'm not all that fond of Rosie. I hear from people who have met her that she really is a bitch - that it's not a joke. But, oh well...I bet they all are.

Funny, though. They hired someone who once again, looks almost as bad as the rest of them. You've got Walters, who looks like she's one step ahead of the chick whose body fell apart in Brazil from too much plastic surgery; you have the other chick who looks like Bette Midler after a night of binging and a car accident; and some other chick, who nobody cares about but she's young and can string a few words together in between the other two babbling about bullshit.
Oh yeah, this is gonna be great.

Now, like I said, I'm talking out of my ass here, because I don't know what really went on behind closed doors, or why Ms. Jones was fired/is leaving. All I know is that Barbara "I can't close my eyes because my facelift won't let me" Walters is quoted as saying that audience surveys didn't like the fact that Star Jones lost weight.

I call INFINITE BULLSHIT on that. Totally.

It reminds me when Suzanne Somers and Joyce DeWitt got their panties all in a bunch when my Mom started getting lots of fan mail and ganged up on her. I was nine at the time, but I remember Mom being upset about it.

It's all the same thing. Catty bitches ganging up. Schoolyard bullshit in a grownup world. And it's downright pitiful.

If people ARE outing Star Jones because she was thinner - they should really, really be ashamed of themselves. Really.

2 Comments:

Blogger Róisín Rua said...

Hmm...people getting catty with a former fat chick because she lost weight and now looks better than all of them...never heard that one before....

I still maintain that if people (particularly females) took all the energy they put into being jealous and channelled it into improving THEMSELVES, they mightn't have quite so much reason to be jealous.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bad fucking horror movie: "CATTY WOMEN FROM PLANET PLAYTEX".

Well, it's time for Star Jones to get her own show and tell everyone to take a flying ifamgu(?)or just...... go fuck themselves.

Damn.......Star looks HOT!

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home