Tuesday, May 01, 2007

NAMI WALK pt. 2

It never even crossed my mind to give much detail on what this cause about and how it affects me personally. I frequently overlook the most obvious...thanks Billychic for pointing it out for me....so, here goes.

I am a 27 year old, single woman, with no children. Last year, I was diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), Depression, OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and Anxiety & Panic Disorder. Yup, I am a handful, lol!!!
When some people listen to my run down, they tend to feel sorry for me...PLEASE DON'T!!! I don't need sympathy...I need to create awareness!
Ever since I can remember, I have had issues with concentration, crying a lot, repeating things over and over to assure myself I did what I was thinking but can never remember if I did, being panicky and extremely anxious which includes waking up in the middle of the night in a sweat and crying.
After I was diagnosed, I felt like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I finally knew what was "special" about me! Most people, with a mental illness, have always known there was something wrong, but they didn't know what it was. And, with all of the stigma's surrounding mental illness, most people are afraid, even embarrassed, to seek professional help.
Me, I'm the type of person that I just needs it fixed "by any means necessary"! Therapy and/meds, if your saying it's going to help me, I'm in!!!
My conclusion...I take five different medications. If I'm on them 100%...they work like a miracle...off of them, well, let's just say you'd probably be better just sending me an email because there is no real way of knowing what kind of day I'm having.

My experience has lead me to advocacy.....

NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) is a mental health organization that is dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with a serious mental illness. Through national organizations in every state and local communities across the country, they join together to meet the NAMI mission through advocacy, research, support, and education.

Through my experiences, in recent months, I found that most people are ignorant to the definition of mental illness. Ignorance isn't always bliss, i.e.. the Virginia Tech scenario. So, I vowed to tell everyone I know and be very open about my journey. I didn't contract this illness...I was given a gift through birth. And, If you do your research, you'll find that a lot famous, rich, & successful people have a mental illness of some sort. Many people become very successful once they have done the research, got diagnosed, received treatment, and learned how to manage whichever disease they have.

One thing I know I can do, off hand, is advocacy...which is one of the reasons I chose to walk with NAMI with my family and friends! If you are in NYC, I'd love for you to join us, if not...please do some research, and make a donation .

Here are a couple of things to think about;

*There is a statistic that says every 3 out of 4 people have some sort of mental illness. It could be you, your spouse, sibling, parent, best friend...wouldn't you want to do something to help support the one you love?

*If we diagnose children, prior to being a teenager, or even prior to becoming an adult, and make them comfortable with themselves, give them the proper education, support, and teach them how to manage their lives...could we prevent a Virginia Tech situation, Columbine situation...or could we have a higher graduating rate, and even have more students attending college...and excelling?

For everyone that has taken the time to either read this post, donate, read my blog... Inside of Me...Under Construction , friends, and those people that have been by my side throughout this interesting journey, without judgement, I want to thank you...I am truly blessed to have you as a part of my life...even if it is through the blogosphere!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home