Thursday, July 26, 2007

I'm a Wildland Firefighter

Well folks, it looks like I'm a firefighter! Just finished my first week with the US Forest Service as a wildland firefighter on an Engine Crew. That means I'll be fighting the really big fires you see on TV.

Funny story, so I'm some punk college kid lifeguarding at a pool in the summer for cash and all the other lifeguards were applying to be firefighters. Not wanting to look like a wuss, I thought I'd apply too...guess who they called back.

So before I knew it, I ended up in Santa Maria, California, which is literally North of Nowhere. I'm from Los Angeles, so I might as well be in Africa with all the rolling grassy hills and waving, scattered trees. I'm in the Pridelands fighting fires!

I'm 20 years old and its my first time away from home, and I'm pretty much living out of a suitcase and surviving off Cinammon Toast Crunch and Turkey Sandwhiches. But other than that, I'm hiking up steep hills with a 45lb pack and a shovel in my hand, getting to work on Optimus Prime (the Engine), and hanging out with some really cool guys who are all brown eyed with big smiles and 20 too!

This is probably going to be some crazy adventure that I can tell when I'm old, or misadventure maybe, but I guess I should never call firefighting a misadventure (lol misadventure pass, get it...okay I know I'm lame).

If you guys want, I can start posting a blog or two about how I'm doing up every now and then.

3 Comments:

Blogger Billychic said...

That's AWESOME!!!

Please do - let us know how you're doing and how you're showing those boys how to put out those fires!

Way to go!

xo
d

5:20 PM  
Blogger Metabolic Karma said...

How incredible! I imagine that must be so challenging. Enjoy the fact that you have the opportunity...I would be distracted by all the hot men (I'm not as noble by any means, and I'm an old fart).

11:57 AM  
Blogger Full Frontal Honesty said...

That's great! Please do keep us posted!

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home