Monday, October 22, 2007

Of All The Rotten Luck!!!

So I spent 4 months up in Santa Barbara County being a gnarly wildland firefighter and training to fight gnarly wildland fires. I got to go the Zaca Fire (which was freaking sweet), but that's about all I got to go to. We got BARELY any fire the entire fire season, so I couldn't take it anymore. The season was going to end in a month anyway, so I just asked my command for an early release date and headed home to catch the second 9 week session of classes. There was only a month left of season and we hadn't had a fire in 3 months, what could I possibly be missing?

So the DAY I come home, the Santa Ana winds pick up and TEN EXPLOSIVE WILDFIRES break out all over Southern California! OHMYGOD! THE DAY I LEAVE! One firefighter already got hurt and they're hurting for help up there, and my papers are already processed so I'm done until next season, I can't even go help if I want to! Now I just have to sit and watch on TV as my bros are out there working their asses off and saving the city of Malibu. I'm pissed and bummed that I can't be out there.

Besides, you know how much overtime and hazard pay I'm missing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Billychic said...

Well, you still had a great experience and you were able to be a part of a wonderful thing - and you did fight in some firefighting, yes?

Sometimes things happen for a reason...and maybe you are supposed to be back home. You send them lots of good gris gris...they know that if you were there, you'd be right alongside them, I'm sure.

Proud of you, woman.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bureaucracy sucks, doesn't it? Just blows my mind.

You did good in what you did and have done more than the rest of us. Appreciate what you did do.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home