Thursday, September 06, 2007

Workday Blues


I'm sure that working in Manhattan automatically puts me in a bracket of having a job where I'm likely to: 1) Have lots of pressure 2) Work for assholes somewhere along the foodchain 3) Deal with obnoxious people, be they customers or co-workers/bosses. This latter issue is really the most tedious, especially when you're dealing with artistic assholes who think that THEIR ad layout is oh-so-very unique and that THEY should be allowed to have complete run of the place; and then you happen to browse another magazine (a mac n' cheese/vampire novel/chocolate guilty pleasure mag like Cosmo or something) and see the same fucking thing - almost verbatim.

I'm low in the food chain here, folks, so I don't really have a leg to stand on; and truth be told, I don't give a rat's ass if the person in question is just slapping another idea someone else had or if it's an honest mistake (I mean, when you think about it, is there really an original idea out there anymore?). As long as what we have for our company looks good and we do well, I'll still get my paychecks and my boss's boss will be happy. We'll get our free lunch on Fridays, I get to say that I work in Soho, I get to go to "Art Parties" (I like to call them "fart parties") and other little perks.

So, for the most part, I don't give a shit.

What I DO care about is that the person in question treats me like ASS. And as anyone knows, that kind of thing is infectious. When one person who is semi-high on the totem pole treats someone like the plague, others seem to follow suit...Even if it's for total bullshit reasons - and I would say she slept her way to the top except that she's really fucking ugly - we're talking ugly like bulldog with vd on her face ugly - and she's not that talented compared to some of the other people here, and NO, I dont' mean me. I'm catty, but not a complete asshole.

Most people here seem to still like me because I have done good work. But I have gotten really fed up with the way certain people have treated me (mainly just her) and I have to admit that it has been affecting my performance. For example? I'm doing this blog during work.

I know, it sounds like I'm just a big baby, but I'll tell you: it really sucks when other kids piss in the pool, you know? Why throw sand in the sandbox? Why bring 8th-grade antics to a job environment?

I'm the first one to admit that I can get my feelings hurt sometimes over stupid stuff, but this woman is a cunt, plain and simple.

How does one deal with issues like this in the work environment? It's one thing to say "don't let her get to you," but when you have to work with someone who you know is a fuckup and is getting promoted, whose ideas are shitty (if not completely plagurized), and who is really mean to you - how do you deal with it? We have to spend 8 hours a day somewhere 5-6 days per week...and if it's with toxic assholes...well...maybe I need to get a job someplace else.

Sigh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Billychic said...

Cheer up, kiddo. Actually, I'm dealing with a similar situation only in that a person I work with used to be my "friend" and now she doesn't even respond when I say hello to her anymore...and I think it's simply because I was out sick for a long time?

I dunno...all I DO know is that it hurt my feelings, and I have decided that although I'm a nutjob, she's an even BIGGER nutjob.

Or a cunt. Yeah, that, actually.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home