Friday, September 07, 2007

It's 2007: Why Are There So Many Homophobes?



For CHRISSAKE.

I just had to go around the corner to get some water and when I went into the deli there were a bunch of brooklynite kids hanging out...being...well, annoying and somewhat intimidating are probably two good adjectives. I mean when you have three guys that are about a foot taller than you eyeballing you like you're a piece of candy (even though I was wearing jeans and a hoodie sweatshirt, c'mon, how fucking appealing could I be?) it's a little weird. We were in line waiting to pay for our various items, and a man was in front of me - a sweet little queen who had just come in for some beer and cigarettes.

I mean, is that okay, beer and cigarettes, guys. Why give him a hard time? He was talking on his cell phone and I suppose that he was talking to a friend about his boyfriend loudly on the phone made it obvious to these morons that he was not walking the straight and narrow (pardon the pun); but maybe they would have said something even if he would have been very masculine and hadn't said anything at all.

All I know is that somebody muttered "fucking faggot" as he was walking out the door. He stiffened for the briefest of an instant. Then, he walked out the door.

Point for him.

He didn't let it get him down, didn't stoop down to their level, and rightly so; these kids are a bunch of tough Polish youths who are just looking for a reason to beat somebody up, and why not go gay bashing?

Yeah...sure...I feel comfortable inviting my Brother and his boyfriend here. I mean, I would...as long as they don't have to go to the corner store. I always feel very proud of the people who are openly queer in this neighborhood. Although I know that they are a hair's breath away from getting into some trouble with the nearly Nazi youth that seems to be the norm around here (despite all the hipsters, and to be honest, I really can't tell which is worse, but that's another rant for another evening of insomnia) but all I know is that I have wanted to beat people's asses on more than one occasion around here. Between the Latin slurs (someone actually said something to me talking about hispanic people and I just laughed as I told them "guess what? I'm half PR! Isn't that hilarious you stupid sonofabitch" - the italicized part kept in my inner voice, thank God) - and the homophobes, I sometimes go nuts.

Then I remember that in Manhattan, it's really no different - the only difference is that people HIDE it better...and when they decide to cut you, they do it in a different way. At least here in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, people wear their asshole flag on their sleeve. I almost like that better.

Oh, and the awesome pic above I found somewhere on the net during a late-night insomnia cyber journey. I wish I could say I made it; if someone knows where it came from (I have since forgot) please let me know so I can give credit where awesome credit is due.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Haydon said...

That picture is totally Donald Sutherland. I know it. I feel it.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Billychic said...

Oh yeah, it totally is - Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I am just wondering who the hell was the brilliant person who photoshopped the quote in there...because I'd love to take credit for it, but I'm all honest like that. lol

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture, great post. When exactly did America become so nazi-ized?

1:19 PM  
Blogger Billychic said...

I know, right? What a horror show.

Thanks for stopping by.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home